Do You Need A Registered Service Agent?
A registered agent, also known as a resident agent or statutory agent, is a business or individual marked to receive service of process when a business entity is a party in a legal action such as a legal action or summons. The registered agent’s address may likewise be where the state may send the documentation for the annual renewal of the business entity’s charter.
The registered agent for a business entity could be specific associate of the company, or more often) a third party, such as the organization’s lawyer or a service provider.
Failing to properly sustain a registered agent could impact a business adversely.
Many companies are not people, they are business bodies such as corporations or limited liability companies (LLCs). This is due to the fact that there are significant liability securities and also tax benefits to being incorporated as opposed to being “self-employed”.
The majority of jurisdictions in the United States require that any kind of business entity that is formed or doing business within their perimeters delegate as well as maintain a “Registered Agent”. This person may be known as the “Resident Agent” or “Statutory Agent”, depending on the regulations of the particular jurisdiction in which the business body is located.
The function of a Registered Agent is to supply a legal address (not a P.O. Box) within that jurisdiction where there are individuals available during regular company hours to help in legal service of process being served in the event of a legal action or court action.
Generally, the registered agent is the person the government send all official documents necessitated each year for tax and legal reasons, such as business tax notifications and annual report forms. It is the registered agent’s job to forward these documents to the business itself.
Registered Agents will generally inform business executives if their state filing status is in “Good Standing” or not. The reason these notices are desired of a registered agent is that it is tough for a business entity to monitor legislative modifications as well as report due days for numerous jurisdictions given the disparate laws of different states.
Charges for not maintaining a registered agent usually will result in a government body withdrawing a company’s business or LLC legal status and also in some cases, assess added penalty expenses.
Advantages of a Third Party Registered Agent
- As the Registered Agent name and address is one of public record, typically, the registered agent address will certainly be the one specified in all formal reports.
- Naming a third-party registered agent allows the business proprietor to take a trip for business or pleasure without the danger of a default judgment because of an ignored legal action.
- A Registered Agent enables a business to easily edit their location at any time, without being necessitated to file pricey changes of address within the state they are located in every time they move.
- Having service of process delivered to a business’s major place of business could trigger reports between patrons as well as employees. Designating a separate address for receiving service of process avoids this scenario.
- Commercial registered agents generally have systems to monitor filing, notification and publishing demands for the business which could save large amounts of money in late penalties were they to skip a required court action. These are referred to as “Compliance Managers”, “Tax Calendars” and/or “Compliance Calendars”.
- Some commercial registered agents supply real-time notification of any sort of legal claim, as well as deliver all official documents straight to the businesses they act in place of.
- Normally most commercial providers have “Form Libraries” of documents and additional records needed to file in various jurisdictions – or to maintain a “Great Standing” for the business.
JPL Process Service now makes daily visits to CT Corporation Los Angeles. Avoid traffic and save time by letting us make that trip for you. Give us a call at (866) 754-0520 for more information.